Related Services:, ,
Summon Key Databases and Packages - Full-Text
This list contains information regarding the coverage of databases, including abstract & indexing databases, and packages in the Summon™ service. This information is provided to help libraries gather general information about the content discoverable through the Summon™ service and is provided for comparison purposes only; the Summon™ service is not intended to be a replacement for citation databases. For additional detail, Serials Solutions® offers libraries complimentary analysis of your library's journal titles to compare your ISSN holdings information against the Summon™ index.
The Summon™ service indexes content at the record level (full text and/or metadata) from information provided directly by publishers and content providers and not at a database level. Therefore, coverage of databases and packages is determined differently based on whether a publisher or provider of a database participates in the Summon™ service.
- Participating publishers and providers – Percent coverage reflects what the Summon™ service has indexed that has been directly provided by the publisher or content provider.
- Non-participating publishers and providers – Percent coverage is determined by a comparison of active ISSNs for titles in the Summon™ index with database title lists available from providers. In this case, percent coverage reflects what the Summon™ service has indexed that has been provided by other sources including full text and citation providers. It will only reflect the percentage of article content (for titles with active ISSNs) and will not reflect coverage of titles with non-active ISSNs or non-article materials included in the database. Hence, the percent coverage in the Summon™ service of the entire database may be lower since this percentage only reflects coverage of titles with active ISSNs.
The Summon™ service match and merge process not only normalizes, corrects and de-duplicates metadata, it combines data from multiple sources—such as full text, abstracts, and subject terms—into a single, discoverable record. In some cases, the Summon™ index may contain a record with citation metadata from an A&I provider as well as full text from a publisher. In other cases, the Summon™ index may contain a record and full text for an item included in an A&I database, but not contain the metadata from the database provider. The result is that the Summon™ service may cover titles in a database even without participation from the database provider.
The Summon™ service increases the value of A&I databases by exposing researchers to the individual databases in multiple ways, as follows:
- Via individual search results which identify specialized A&I databases as contributing sources to increase researchers awareness of the resource
- A database recommender feature that directs users to specific subject databases as alternative starting places for further research
- Fully indexed research and subject guides appear within the context of search results to direct users to librarian recommended databases for further research
Key to the List
- Database/Package – Name of database or package
- Publisher/Provider – Name of publisher or provider of database or package
- Content Type(s) – Content included in the database or package
- Data From Publisher/Provider – Information provided direct from the participating publisher or provider of the database or package
- Coverage – See above for explanation of how percent coverage is determined based on whether a publisher or provider is participating in the Summon™ service
Status – State of indexing of titles in the Summon™ index
- Indexed indicates all titles from a participating publisher or provider in a given database or package are currently indexed and are regularly being updated
- In progress indicates Serials Solutions is actively working with a participating publisher or provider to index titles in a database or package and some portion of the titles may already be indexed
- Covered indicates titles in a database or package are not directly provided to the Summon™ service since the provider is non-participating, but titles are covered because metadata and/or full text has been provided by other participating publishers and indexed
Full-Text Searchable – Percent coverage of the titles in a database or package that are full-text searchable. See above for explanation of how percent coverage is determined based on whether a publisher or provider is participating in the Summon™ service. Asterisk (*) indicates non-participating providers.
- Not applicable (N/A) indicates that only metadata is available in a database or package
Other ResourcesUniversity of Wolverhampton: Better Value for Electronic Resource Investment
The Summon Service and Syndetic Solutions (AUS)
The Summon Service and Syndetic Solutions (EMEA)
The Summon Service and Syndetic Solutions (North America)
Heidelberg University Library: Robust API Makes Journal Articles Discoverable